Referral for a Special Education Evaluation

f you have concerns about your school-aged child’s learning or behavior, the first step is to talk to your child’s teacher or the school administrator about your concerns. If this step is unsuccessful, you should ask school personnel about making a referral to the campus-based student support team, which is a team of teachers, and other personnel who meet regularly, to address any learning or behavioral concerns that children are having.


Before a child who is experiencing difficulty in the general education classroom is referred for a special education evaluation, the child should be considered all support services available to all children. These services may include, but are not limited to: tutoring, remedial services, compensatory services, response to scientific, research-based intervention, and other academic or behavior support services. 


The school has an affirmative duty to make a referral for an initial evaluation for special education services any time it suspects that a child has a disability and a need for special education services under IDEA. You may also initiate a referral for an initial evaluation of your child at any time.


Please note that a request for a special education evaluation may be made verbally and does not need to be in writing. Communicate with your child’s school teacher or administrator.  Consent for placement is voluntary and can be revoked at any time.


If you have concerns about your child and you feel your child may need special education services, speak to your child’s teacher, counselor, or school administrator. You may also contact: Karen Schasteen 254.675.1889

Referral for a Special Education Evaluation